BH is quite partial to Branston's (small chunks), while I do not generally eat chutneys or pickles at all, except, perhaps, when they come as part of a burger package.
However, while we were in Brading, BH bought a jar of home made chutney which, rather to my surprise, I found I quite liked. Taken on bread without anything else, and certainly not cheese. The principal ingredients appearing to be vinegar, sugar and raw cauliflower. Plus something or other to thicken it up.
Which moved me to look up chutney at reference 1. Where I learn that it was an important dish, used in one form or another all over the Indian subcontinent, and brought back to the UK from the 17th century on - so quite a long time ago. My mother used to buy piccalilli occasionally, but not, as far as I can remember, Branston's original, that is to say the dark brown stuff. See also references 2 thru 5.
I notice also that while Branston might be an old and respected English company, it is now owned by an even older Japanese pickle company, to be found at reference 6.
PS: damsons to the right. We are getting quite enough of them for our modest needs from an overhanging neighbour's tree - and I will be reporting on some of the product in due course - including, so far, no less than two pies.
References
Reference 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutney.
Reference 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branston_(brand).
Reference 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutney_(film).
Reference 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0krwKbsQscw.
Reference 5: https://www.daringgourmet.com/homemade-branston-pickle-recipe/. A recipe for fake Branston's.
Reference 6: https://www.mizkanholdings.com/en/. The 200 year old, Japanese pickle company which now owns Branston. Which started in pickles as a way to make use of a vinegary by-product of brewing sake. As it happens, they also own the Sarson's brand.
Reference 7: https://www.mizkan.co.uk/our-brands/.
Reference 8: https://www.news18.com/photogallery/movies/woman-kills-servant-grows-coriander-on-his-grave-in-this-17-minute-suspense-thriller-aa-ws-l-9827984-5.html. The film explained - if the link works.

No comments:
Post a Comment