The last recorded outing for the dancing water bowl (aka spouting bowl) was near three years ago, with the record at reference 1. It seems rather a long time ago, but that was the best that I could do this afternoon.
Apparatus carefully positioned out of the sun in the snap above.
Four sessions over the past few days, one of them with assistants.
The four crests around the bowl serve as nodes for the standing waves which do the business; one of which is visible in the snap above. They also serve as markers for the depth of the water, which does not seem to be that critical. But I do find that I get the best results with water which is not cold from the tap, but something short of tepid.
I also found that I could only reliably get it to work with all of stone, tile and cloth - which the various demonstrators do not seem to bother with. In fact, I could not get it to work that reliably at all, not doing at all well on one of the four sessions. On the other hand, I could get three of the four nodes going quite nicely, with droplets flying up a couple of inches of so. Maybe I would get better if I were to practise a bit more.
Both girls took to it quite well. Maybe they have rhythm in their souls in a way that I do not.
In the course of all this, there was also a reprise of BH's slow cooked lamb - five hours of it in fact, mostly wrapped in foil in a low oven. Recipe acquired from a correspondent, some years ago now.
On the plate. No hot meat sandwiches on white, but the leg did serve for two more meals, taken cold with vegetables on the first occasion, salad on the second.
Cold, it tasted much more like regular cold roast lamb than I was expecting. Cold roast meat is certainly easy and it is also quite tasty: part of childhood for both BH and I, but I dare say vanished from the meals turned out by our children, with their own families, today.
PS 1: in the course of turning up reference 5, I also came across the expedition noticed at reference 6. I was reminded that: 'I am now the proud owner of Missa Luba sung by the troubadours du Roi Baudouin, somewhere back in the late fifties of the last century'. And as luck would have it, the record has survived the various culls since 2010. Must have been quite a thing when it came out in 1960 or so, as Bing knows all about it, offering plenty of copies of my disc for next to nothing, plus the Wikipedia article at reference 7. Good to be reminded that the Belgians of the Congo did more than just extract stuff. Hears pretty well too.
PS 2: as it turned out, I took the cold lamb which came with the salad with some fresh brown bread from batch No.784. Too strongly flavoured, compared with white, for these purposes - but better than I had expected, provided you had plenty of meat to the bread.
References
Reference 1: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2023/09/dancing-water.html.
Reference 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ciRGCM8Ro. Wrong sort of bowl.
Reference 3: https://www.physics.colostate.edu/physics-demos/chinese-water-spouting-bowl/. Educational, with four short rubber feet.
Reference 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COPPsUbNDEc. Right sort of bowl.
Reference 5: https://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.com/search?q=dancing+water. It looks as if we acquired the bowl about fifteen years ago.
Reference 6: https://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.com/2010/02/dancing-tea.html.
Reference 7: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missa_Luba.

.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment