Sunday, August 2, 2026

Identification

Just about a month ago, I had a bout with Google Images and his AI assistant (GI) about a small mystery plant, just inside our front garden wall. BH thought perhaps a goldenrod, perhaps a white Michaelmas daisy that she cut down. At that time, GI and I opted for Michaelmas dasiry. This was noticed at reference 1. 

This morning, despite the drought, the plant has put on some growth and is starting to come into flower. Time to try GI again. Logged in.

He confirms his first diagnosis. He picks up a bit more quickly on the red start to the midrib of the leaves this time around, but I do not think he has access to a transcript of our last conversation; no more than some general knowledge gleaned therefrom, perhaps stored away in my profile.

The odd finish to the leaves does not disturb things. And I am reasonably confident that he is adding value, not just agreeing with me.

The aster adjacent. I added the bit about Epsom as the conversation seemed a bit New England flavoured and I was not sure that he was picking up on my location.

GI's closing summary. Plus a spot of Gemini flavoured gush!

That aside, he is making me look at plants more carefully, and he may make a botanist of me yet. Even if I never do stretch to the jargon of the serious to be found in Bentham & Hooker. And it certainly helps to have the plants in question within reach; much more satisfactory than bringing the odd leaf or twig home from far away.

PS 1: just to round things off, the aster adjacent.

PS 2: a little later, I wondered why the New York aster, our Michaelmas daisy, was named in Latin for Belgium. Gemini explains that 'belgii' was the 17th Latin name for the Low Countries, which then included both what are now the Netherlands (to the north) and Belgium (to the south). So 'novi belgii' was entirely reasonable for a plant coming from what was then their North American colony. A more succinct version of which story I would have got from Wikipedia, had I bothered to look there first.

Yet another place with a complicated history. From the time when the France was the pushy power in western Europe. From where I associate to the depressing piece at reference 2, from today's Observer.

References

Reference 1: https://psmv6.blogspot.com/2026/07/michaelmas-daisies.html.

Reference 2: Water cannon diplomacy as Beijing moves further into Philippine waters: Tensions rise as China seeks to expand its claims, firing water cannon and ramming fishing boats in Philippine waters - Nga Pham, The Observer - 2026

Group search key: aigoodsk.

No comments:

Post a Comment