Both on our way to Portsmouth to catch our ferry, and on the way back, I happened to notice a clutch of what were to me unusual cranes. That is to say tower cranes where the tower was not the steel lattice work of a tower crane on a building site, from a distance more like the core of a tower block. They looked to be something to do with shipping rather than building.
I was driving, which made snapping the cranes impossible rather than unlikely.
Neither Bing nor Google turned up anything likely, so I thought I would try Gemini on the clue:
I saw several dockside, luffing tower cranes at the northern end of Portsmouth docks. A distinctive feature was that the tower part was more like the lift shaft of a tower block, than the open steel work of a crane on a building site. Do you know what make of crane this might have been?
Which he computed to 'Konecranes Gottwald mobile harbor cranes' without any trouble at all. Liebherr make something of the same sort, but this operator, Portico, have gone for Konecranes. Which I learn from reference 2 started in Finland, but I did not work out where they are now. While the image above is a crane of the same sort, located in Italy, and was turned up by Google.
I then turned to gmaps and was able to turn up the very cranes in question in Street View: the Portico cargo terminal as seen from the M275.
Google Images was able to confirm his colleagues Gemini's diagnosis, on the clue 'I am interested in the luffing tower cranes in this image, taken on the approach to Portsmouth'. Was there collusion between them?
While Gemini was able to confirm that while Konecranes had grown big, it was still Finnish, closely related to the Kone lift people - while Gottwald was a German company they bought in 2017.
All very impressive.
References
Reference 1: https://www.konecranes.com/port-equipment-services/mobile-harbor-cranes/.
Reference 2: https://www.konecranes.com/.
Reference 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kone.
Group search key: aigoodsk.



No comments:
Post a Comment