Monday, July 6, 2026

End of an era: The second day

In the event, getting the large pond out was rather easier and quicker than I had thought that it might be. All done by 10:00 or so.

I had more or less emptied the pond, but I had not dug down below its bottom, even at the deepest point. But I had dug out around around half the circumference, and at that point the pond started to move when I pulled on the rim, towards the most dug side. And after that, it was no time at all before I had it out.

Very little in the way of plant roots once one got a couple of inches down. And very little in the way of animal life. I had that thought that the oak tree above, at least, would have made more of an effort.

The three ponds are now piled up by the heritage garden bench -  kept on from the house in Cambridge - awaiting the next steps. Will they find a new use? Or a new home? Or will they just end up in the dump?

Visible lower right in one of the snaps provided to the Forestry Commission regarding OPM. The sky visible upper right, the result of losing a willow tree over the fence, a fair size but not very old at all. Maybe forty years.

References

Reference 1:  https://psmv6.blogspot.com/2026/07/end-of-era-first-day.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment