A day which started with a serious bit of rain at about 04:30, although there was not much to show for it a couple of hours later. Just the odd small puddle. A day which was set to be hot, so an early walk and a late walk, with not much doing outside in-between.
Turning off East Street towards Stones Road and the Screwfix underpass, I picked up the catalpa tree there, in full bloom. I forget how long it lasts for.
Lots of showy clusters of flowers, which reminded me of both snapdragons and orchids. Last noticed at reference 1, early July rather than late June.
Screwfix whitebeam all present and correct.
More or less standing water in the culvert into the stream at the top of Longmead Road - but no action from the recent rain. Either the water from the Common had gone through, or it was going to come - or the rain did not amount to anything, impressive sounding though it was at the time.
While later that day, action was over on the dog vomit mold noticed at reference 2. Shop shut up. I think the brown powder is the end product, the spores which will lie around until the next time.
Next stop an oak tree on Clay Hill Green, I think a pin oak rather than a regular oak. Complete with gibbous moon to the left of the tree. BH tells me that it was a fine full moon by yesterday evening, but I can't see anything now. Maybe if I am up early enough tomorrow morning.
But the real point of interest of this tree was that it had been planted to commemorate Chuter Ede.
Planted by his sister, presumably on or soon after his death in 1965. The son of an Epsom grocer, a Labour man, who went on to be a long serving Home Secretary. I think there are various places in and around Epsom which are named for him. See reference 3.
So we can be reasonably certain that the tree is more or less 61 years old. And now, given the recent excursion with Scots Pine noticed at reference 4, I had better measure its girth.
Last up, more hollyhocks, near Clay Hill Green.
Which prompts the thought, arising from the marshmallows of reference 5, that it is strange that I have probably known about marshmallows for seventy years - but I don't think that it ever occurred to me to wonder - let alone inquire - what they were - apart from sweet and sticky things one toasted on sticks from time to time.
I have noticed something else of this sort on at least one other occasion recently, although I cannot presently remember what it was. That is to say, when one object, perhaps no longer familiar, gives its name to another object, with the first object getting completely lost behind the second. Is there a fancy name for this? When will it happen again?
PS: lots of female parts on this occasion. Loud and clear; didn't need to bother with a close-up.
References
Reference 1: https://psmv5.blogspot.com/2025/07/trolley-905-906-and-907.html.
Reference 2: https://psmv6.blogspot.com/2026/06/vomit.html.
Reference 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Chuter_Ede.
Reference 4: https://psmv6.blogspot.com/2026/06/early-and-late.html.
Reference 5: https://psmv6.blogspot.com/2026/06/mainly-hollyhocks.html.
Group search key: 20260623.








No comments:
Post a Comment