Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Selfies

I found this all rather confusing this morning.

And in the end, I decided that the editing of the text had been rather careless. Furthermore, I could not find anything about the fact that the place had been closed for a week for a holiday. All in all, not a good advertisement for the chap who had put his name at the bottom of the page. 

Perhaps he would have done better just to have a simple list of opening times, more in the way of Bing when you ask when Tesco's is open.

This for an establishment in Ryde which has had an interesting history over the years. I think that we have used it at least once in all of the three incarnations that I can remember.

Finding the place is left as an exercise for curious readers.

PS 1: maybe, names notwithstanding, the writer was not a native speaker of English.

PS 2: a little later, I was amused by the piece at reference 1. The twenty first century version of the old adage that the battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton? And what would a psycho-analyst have to say about the macho goings-on of the US Defence Secretary?

PS 3: I thought that POTUS had renamed said department 'Department for War'. Whatever happened to that?

Not forgetting that here in the UK, we had a War Office until fairly recently. Maybe POTUS was harking back to our days of glory? But I had forgotten, if I ever knew, that in some twist of bureaucratic usage, the War Office did the army while the Admiralty did the navy. At least at some point in its history, according to Wikipedia at reference 2.

And we never got as far as Orwell's Ministry for Peace, maybe Minipax for short.

References

Reference 1: US troops to get testosterone treatment to make them strong: Announcement from defence secretary Pete Hegseth comes amid focus on low sperm count and virility on American right - Steff Chávez, Financial Times - 2026.

Reference 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment